Sunday, March 29, 2009

What does it mean to save a life?



In class, one of my peers, in reaction to another classmate’s very critical evaluation of art therapy, responded by making a video in which she stated that “Art saved her life.” Her response went on further to state that she didn’t need anyone to validate her art making, because she fully believed in art’s ability to save lives.

My response (in my head only) to her is that to believe that art saved her life is to ignore the many other things in place in her life that contributed to it’s saving such as being from an upper class, white, educated family. I have no doubt that art contributed to her ability to process a traumatic event but I am not so convinced that it “saved her life” and I think to make such a claim is to expect that someone from an entirely different socio-economic situation would utilize, need or value art making in the same way. I feel that it is a really privileged assumption that art could impact someone with significant other social restraints or that they would benefit from art making alone. Save it from what? suicide, death, poverty, obscurity?

1 comment:

  1. dear anna,
    thank you for articulating what i hadn't figured out how to put in words yet.
    you are super smart and i'm glad we're friends.
    love,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete